Saturday, July 19, 2008

Street Kids, Slums, and Mud

"Papa, can you please kill that rooster?" That was my very weary, peace loving daughters first words to me the other morning. We had been listening to the ungodly honking of that f-ing bird for the last four hours...it was now six in the morning. It was already a very long day. ( I have full confidence that the college guys here have already planned a slow and torturous demise for that bird.)

The earth here is a beautiful red clay color that the locals make brick out of. It's a rich deep red that is really wonderful to see...awful to walk through if you live in the slums. These shanty homes are built on a hillside and when it rains it gouges deep troughs into the earth and through the front doors of the homes there. The crazy thing about the slums is it looks much like what you think a squatters village looks like, homes fabricated from anything you can find and of course some brick sided homes. Still people must pay to live here....crazy how at the very bottom there is still a profit to be made.

A couple of the college guys here befriended a lady whose house continued to wash away during the hard rains that come almost every afternoon. They decided to fund a new home in a better location to help her...that was great as long as they managed to pay off three of the "slum-lords" so that she could have their gift. If they did not pay the extortion price, the slum lords would take it out on our friend. It makes sense to me much more clearly why Jesus was such an advocate for the exploited. No one seems to give a shit...Is there actually a good reason why people live in such conditions? I sit on a stoop scraping sticky red mud from my shoes wondering what a smart bomb goes for these days?

on to the streets When they said we would be doing street kid ministry I thought yeah piece of cake...I grew up in Central LA, the hood's the hood right?

Wrong.

Our time started by watching a herd of cattle sitting in the dirt overlooking the new construction project going on in downtown Kampala..not the same hood.

A soccer ball gets tossed out and things are looking promising. Ghetto kids kicking a soccer ball around a dirt field...this is more like what I thought I'd see. Suddenly the promise of a game stops. Two big thug kids dressed in one piece mechanic outfits have claimed the ball. Our Ugandan friend Mugabe and Jeremy (an American on staff here) go over and negotiate the release of our hostage ball.

Lots of yelling, pointing, puffing of chests...I learn my first Lugandan cuss words....the game is back on.

Standing on the sidelines I notice a kid with a really bad wound on his hand. I looks like an old wound that just not ever healed. This little kid looks like he is eighty years old. He could trick or treat as King Tuts mummy and not dress up.

I begin to clean and dress his wound...he show me two more ever worse. He says he got struck by a motor car. As I work on him, a crowd forms...everyone has nasty cuts and sores...all want "plaster"-bandaids place on their hurts. The crowd starts pushing and shoving. Head down, I miss the moment our camera gets stolen out of Katie's bag. I miss when a group of these kids surround one of our girls and start telling her "I want to sex you." I miss when another of our girl leaders gets felt up. I didn't see when a kid grabs another camera and makes a run for it. I didn't see the crowd chase after him intend on killing him and taking the camera for themselves. I did see and treat the kid who got struck in the head by a thrown brick. I missed when we had to pay ten thousand shillings to get the camera back.

Oh did I mention that all the while I treated this mummy kid's hand, he was huffing gasoline from a rag. He never released it. I bet if I took you to the slums tonight, he would still be hold that green rag.

He will die holding that fucking rag.

peace,john

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Your words come alive off of the page. When I read what you and Katie write I can hear you speaking. Incredible. Amazing. Powerful. Heartwrenching. Amongst the joy and amongst the pain, may you find peace in Uganda.

Chris

Kim said...

John & Katie - your stories are amazing. I am so proud of both of you and know that God is using you both in ways you may never even know. My prayers are that both of your tender hearts are protected while they are being changed. I know you are seeing and experiencing things most of us will never understand. Katie you have been an amazing soul since the day you were born, thanks for being willing to share Jesus with those whose lives you are coming in contact with now - I'm so proud of you!! John what a lasting image of you cleaning the outward wounds of that boy, knowing that so many of those around you have deep wounds to their souls on the inside. We are thinking about you and praying for you.

Kim (&Dave)

Joelle and Scott said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joelle and Scott said...

John,
Great to be able to participate even from afar through your and Katie's blog. Thanks for your honesty, vulnerability and willingness to step into this place believing in Jesus' presence even amidst the darkness and brokenness there and for being Jesus' presence amidst camera thiefs, slum lords, and those desperately seeking to numb their pain. My prayer today is for the little boy whose hand you bandaged. May that little boy know God's deliverance in ways that go beyond our understanding, I pray this prayer to you Jesus. Lord, have mercy.
Bless you, John and Katie.
Peace,
Joelle

Unknown said...

John and Katie - I'm thinking about you both often. Thanks for keeping this posted.

Scott

Alicia said...

We'll be spending the night at the CLD house on Thrusday night before we drive to Rwanda. I hope we'll get to see you guys! What a crazy, small world. I love hearing your reflections...can't wait to chat in person and hear more.

In God's service,
Alicia (and Ben)

Sam Scharrer said...

Katie and John,

I know I should have written something to you both from the very beginning but to tell you the truth I was scared. It’s not like I didn’t know this was coming, but the mere fact that it’s been done is the thing that haunts me, the reality of it I mean. As gallant as it is to be there in Africa I can’t tell you how gut-wrenching it is to have folks you care so much about so far away. Honestly that’s probably why I didn’t want to write back to your blog posts because it would be further sent in my head that one of my greatest friends, Katie, is off doing good where generally nobody wants to --on their own at least-- and isn’t just a few streets away in little ol’ Broomfield.

I think what the both of you are doing is so amazing, that I can’t even admire you in words. I can say with all the truth in my bones that I am not one of such bravery and nobility and I think (like most have said) that your journey in Uganda is the utmost selfless thing and explaining how proud to know you makes my brain want to explode!

I love hearing the events that are happening during your trip because the way you explain them with such voice is like I’m actually there. And I can’t wait till you come back home so I can listen to them in person.

Just know that the both of you will be in my thoughts.

LOVE,
Sam

Tami said...

Hi guyz...
I'll save the platitudes for a time when I'm not so angry, my "inflated sense of justice" seething next to my can-o-whoopass. I'm sorry these things happened to you, I'm sorry about all the other crud that happened to the others, but more than anything, sorry about every other year, day, hour, and minute this takes place-- and on every other continent, every country, in every state and precinct, town or area.
The only thing that will soothe my soul after reading this is a hard cry, a little time at the punching bag, a formal grievance letter to my Dad (AKA journaling for me) on your behalf-- and naturally, some chocolate. I wish somehow that I could have been there in my little cape to fight everyone off-- and that somehow, with superhuman strength, we could conquer all the nasty thugs of the world together!
And how is it that our Dad also loves these thugs?? Whose side is He on, anyway? What can I do, except hold you both close to my heart, and carry you all to Jesus??
In the famous words of Forrest Gump, "sometimes there just aren't enough rocks."

Tami said...

And my next thought:
Thank God there was someone there to nurse my wounds and just love on me, even when I have self-destructed in some way. You guyz are livin it, wow. Powerful stuff, albeit heart-wrenching and baffling.

Anonymous said...

i could see and feel the moment. you described it so well and all's i can say is WOW, there ya go, the real deal, a real sense of the craziness, a vision into the bizarre contrasts of humanity. we miss you and are with you every day in spirit and in love. glad you are okay. as julia was reading it to me out loud (yes, it cracked me up, how she would edit the f's ummm, it's not like she's not used to it) i felt scared for you guys. love from colorado kathy

Unknown said...

Wow, its funny how irate we all are over a stolen camera! the irony is that such an extravagence means so much to us is our cushy lives of luxury and yet these kids live in that slum every day and will go on living in those miserable condtions long after we return to our lives in the west. Hopefully none of us will forget what you guys have seen and experienced there, and we will carry it with us, never taking for granted for one second how blessed we are. Salaam.

Ps--miss you guys like crazy, are you coming home already?! I bet Marty and Marcus are counting the seconds till your return

Chris